The health and safety of our campus community is of the utmost importance to the University. If you have questions about how the Student Health Services is handling safety for COVID-19, contact email@example.com or 337-482-1293.
Student Health Service follows the recommendations of the Louisiana Office of Public Health, Department of Health and Hospitals, American College Health Association, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Health & Safety for Patients
We have implemented the following procedures for patients.
Face coverings or masks
- All patients and staff members are required to wear face coverings or masks at all times.
- Staff will be in full PPE while working with ill patients.
- To prevent multiple people from touching the same surfaces, we have eliminated the self-check-in kiosk and physical paperwork.
- All patients will need to complete the paperwork online before an appointment.
Schedules and appointment types
- Walk-in appointments are no longer allowed. You must make an appointment before coming to Student Health Services.
- Telehealth appointments are available for patients who need appointments that do not require a physical examination.
We have designated blocks of appointment times to keep “well” and “ill” patients separate. Call Student Health Services to schedule an appointment time based on your symptoms or needs.
- “Well” patient visits include allergy shots, TB skin tests, women’s health exams, general physicals, and medication management appointments.
- “Ill” patient visits include those where the patient is exhibiting symptoms for COVID-19, other illnesses, or other conditions.
- There are extended gaps of time between appointments to limit any interactions between patients.
Sanitation & cleaning
- Housekeeping and sanitation happens every morning before the clinic opens, and common-touch areas are sanitized regularly and between patient appointments.
- Plexiglass barriers will be installed at all check-in and check-out areas.
- Exam rooms have been designated as either “ill” or “well” rooms for patients who are either exhibiting symptoms or not. Every patient goes straight into an exam room — the lobby and triage rooms are not being used.
- Social distancing and hand hygiene signs have been placed around the clinic.
- Student Health Services is closed from 12-1 p.m. every day to allow for extra cleaning and to give the staff a break from wearing PPE.
- Student Health Services is exploring ways to conduct contact tracing to help decrease the spread of COVID-19. We will work together with the local Office of Public Health and assist their efforts with contact tracing.
Changes to Appointments
Making an appointment
- You must call 337-482-1293 to make an appointment. We are not accepting walk-ins. When you call, you will complete a COVID-19 screening over the phone.
- If your appointment does not require a physical examination, you may be scheduled for a telehealth appointment.
- Your appointment time will be determined based on your symptoms or needs. “Well” appointments and “ill” appointments are scheduled in separate blocks of time.
Before your appointment
- To prevent multiple people from touching the same surfaces, we have eliminated the physical paperwork. You must complete the required paperwork online. You will receive instructions to do that when you schedule your appointment.
At your appointment
- You are required to wear a mask or face covering to your appointment.
The front doors are locked, so you will need to call the number on the front door to be allowed inside the building.
- Walk-ins are not allowed.
- If you have an appointment, you are not allowed to bring anybody with you.
- When you enter the building, a nurse in full personal protective equipment will screen you for COVID-19 symptoms and exposure.
- After your screening, you will be escorted directly to an exam room. Use of the lobby has been eliminated for the time being.
After your appointment
When you receive a bill for your appointment, you will need to call and make the payment over the phone.
- Checks and cash are not preferred. If you need to pay by check or cash, call 337-482-1293 to set up a safe time to visit the clinic.
- All staff are required to wear masks while they are in the building. They are also required to wear full PPE while interacting with patients.
- All staff and visitors are screened for COVID-19 symptoms every day, including a temperature screen. Ill staff are not allowed to report to work.
- Student Health Services is closed from 12-1 p.m. every day to give the staff a break from wearing the restrictive PPE for a short time.
- If a mass vaccine becomes available, we will be prepared to implement a point-of-dispensing (POD) plan.
- We are reviewing our quarantine and isolation plan.
- We are prepared to support the Office of University Housing and other student areas on campus as needed in planning, screening, testing, and educating.
Visit the University's COVID-19 response website for more information about how the University is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and ensuring the health of all students and employees.